Saturday, February 23, 2013

Stroke and Politics



Politics and racism can be very dividing.  It can affect people so much that their views are literally burned in their brain no matter what

A lot of times with stroke, the patient will present with altered mental status. I had an 81 year old with a stroke last week. She couldn't move her left side, and she couldn't remember anything.  She didn't know the day, year, her family....nothing. BUT, when I asked her who the president was, she said "That colored guy. I wish I could push him in a ditch!"  I don't know how her stroke could knock out so much of her memory but she still had the anti Obama in her.

ER Doc

8 comments:

Pam said...

She remembered the important stuff

Susan - Nurse on the Run said...

I used to work (as a nurse) in a small community hospital on a med/surg floor. A nursing home was right across the street so we got at least one "altered mental status" patient every day, usually more. Once I asked them the name/place/date questions, I always asked if they knew who the president is. I chuckled when they said Reagan, but was never surprised when they would yell, "That black man!!" Yep, we're still here...haha.

Candi said...

Racism and ignorance runs deeeeeeep

Jono said...

Apparently, the more primitive parts of the brain continue to function.

Unknown said...

You have a very decent writing skill. I have gone through your article. The post seems great.

Essential revision notes for MRCP phillip kalara

Anonymous said...

I have noted this phenomenon among fellow Catholics. Get so drunk on Xmas eve, but still must go to midnight mass. One man had MS followed by a stroke - aphasic but still went on to father 3 more kids. Religion really gets burned into cortex.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the impressive and amazing guide


Toronto Notes 2014

first response urgent care said...

Good to know this wonderful information. I appreciate your thoughts and the information you shared is awesome. Keep sharing useful information.
Emergency room Brooklyn
Urgent care Brooklyn heights